Drugs Destroy Lives

Drugs Destroy Lives, Facing Project, Addiction

As told to Kelly Sickafoose.

I had a great mom and dad, both pillars of the community with good jobs. I never had a bad life, but I had problems on the inside. I never really felt comfortable in my own skin. At a very young age, I became involved in the drug underworld, starting with marijuana. The first time I tried it, I was on a camping trip with other boys my age . I loved that I could escape and feel good with only a few tokes of a joint. All through school, I was one of the “cool kids” (or so I thought), smoking more and more all of the time. After graduation, I went to school in Ohio. During that time, money got tight and I wanted to party. I got the idea that I could get a pound of marijuana and sell it to college kids. I would have money and plenty to smoke. Life was good.

One day, while making my daily rounds of marijuana sales during my lunch break, a customer had no money but chopped out a line for payment. I saw white powder so I assumed it was powder cocaine. I accepted it, and as the powder hit the back of my throat, a bitter rush hit me. I looked at him and asked what I just put up my nose. “Heroin,” he replied with a smile. “You are about to go for the ride of your life.”

I never thought I could get addicted to a drug the first time I used it, despite what they’d told us in health class in high school. But they were right. I was a heroin addict as soon as I felt it the very first time. It took ingesting just one line, and I was euphoric. This was the start of a world of pain and sorrow, of unhappiness and grief, a path to self-destruction.

Because I was near Dayton, which is a major drop-off point for heroin in this region, I would drive there every day with a friend to buy it. Heroin was cheap and high quality. All of my weed profits were being spent on my new-found love. I would buy the heroin, sell part of it for profit, and snort the rest. Eventually, I was selling less and snorting more. When it got to the point that I was out of money, jobless, and homeless, I came back to Decatur to regroup.

In Decatur, prescription drug use had become popular , especially Oxycodone and Fentanyl. I suggested to a close friend that we travel back and forth between Dayton and Decatur to buy heroin, sell some, and do ours for free. We drove that path once or twice a day. I never gave a second thought about trafficking heroin across state lines. I now had to have the heroin just to function, not even to get high.

I then started shooting liquid morphine that I got from a cancer patient. I injected the morphine into my veins instead of into a muscle to get a bigger high. I had always been afraid of needles, but not anymore. One time, I overdosed and laid in a parking lot for three hours until I came to. I thought it was the best feeling in the world!

Funds, resources, and drugs ran out again. One day when I was working, the withdrawal symptoms started. I was sweating and freezing at the same time. Later, my hands were shaking uncontrollably. My legs began to kick uncontrollably. I had rug burns all over my body from the bed sheets. There was vomiting, diarrhea, everything at once.

I admitted myself into rehab. I will never forget my grandfather’s reaction to me being there. He was my best friend, and I have many childhood memories with him of hunting, fishing, and loving me. He stood there, helpless, crying to see his grandson as a junkie. It broke my heart and his. It was then I knew I hadn’t just destroyed my life, but my family’s as well.

I slowly got back to normal, or so I thought. But I wasn’t normal. Anxiety and depression soon set in.

After the first “kick,” it became a regular occurrence that I would get high and then get clean. I figured that’s just what junkies did. Finally, I had enough. I went to the methadone clinic and cleaned up. But slowly, the cravings for heroin returned. I dreamed about heroin. My brain wanted it. I chased the next high like it was the love of my life. Oxycontin became my drug of choice. Again I was dealing; selling some and using most. Someone tipped off law enforcement. When they found me, I thought I was running from the officer. In reality, I was so high that I just turned and stumbled a bit, got knees in my back and sides, and was arrested.

For the next few years, I was in and out of jail, in and out of treatment, and went to a halfway house. I lost my house and everything I owned. I knew I had a problem. I took methadone every day for 3 ½ years. I thought I was doing great. I was working and productive. But methadone got expensive at $13 a day for me and $13 for my girlfriend, who was trying to kick her addiction too. One day, I was out trying to make a buck to support our family. I dug through garbage piles looking for scrap metal to pay for my daily dose of methadone. I was arrested again, this time for felony theft. It was a nightmare kicking methadone cold turkey in jail. I wasn’t right for about six months and thought about suicide a lot.

I finally got a decent job with a company that was willing to hire felons. Most employers aren’t willing to give felons a chance; there is too much liability and drama with ex-cons. Unfortunately, there was a heroin dealer at work. I knew that if I even gave into temptation once, I would be back into the abyss of addiction. After a bad night at work, I gave in to the guy, but one cap wasn’t enough. I would cash my paycheck and hand it straight to my dealer. Due to too many accidents at work, I got fired again. I fell back into depression.

About a year and a half ago, I got a bad batch of heroin. It was laced with Fentanyl. I overdosed right there in my parents’ bathroom. My four-year-old son found me blue with a syringe still in my hand. My father then found me lying on the tile floor, gasping for air. I heard them say, “Give him more Narcan.” I can’t imagine what my son thought of all this. The doctors used the paddles to bring me back.

Once I was stabilized, I sat in jail for months. I was charged with possession of a narcotic drug and neglect of a dependent. I was bound for prison.

By the grace of the good Lord, I was accepted into Drug Court. My life has changed. I want to be a part of my family. I want to have a job to support my kids and be there for them. Drug Court probably saved my life. Now I’m able to deal with my issues. I know that when the world is ugly, I don’t have to turn to drugs to survive. Drugs destroy lives.

Read the original story on the Facing Addiction Facing Project page



Are you interested in seeing more stories like this? If so, we need your help. Check out the Build Empathy Story-By-Story Campaign to learn how you can plug into the work of The Facing Project.  


About The Facing Project:

The Facing Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that connects people through stories to strengthen communities. The organization’s model to share stories and raise awareness is in cities across the United States focused on topics such as poverty, sex trafficking, mental health, immigration, and more. Facing Project stories are compiled into books and on the web for a community resource, used to inspire art, photography, monologues and—most importantly—community-wide awareness, dialogue, action, and change toward a more understanding and empathetic society.

Previous Post
What is Not Love
Next Post
The Story of a Mother