Book Design & Printing (Cost, layout, partners)
Printing is often the most expensive part of a Facing Project. But you don’t necessarily have to have books at all. It depends on the project. For Facing Bullying there are logical places for books to be available: libraries, schools, counsellor’s office. But for Facing Sex Trafficking? Where is the front lines of sex trafficking. That’s exactly the reason Atlanta’s Facing Sex Trafficking project chose to publish a digital book hosted on their site. But a digital book alone wouldn’t make sense for Facing Homelessness where an important portion of the stakeholders might not have access to a computer or the Internet.
Regardless if you go with an ebook or do a printing of 3,000 copies, you’ll need your book formatted and designed. Projects have hired designers (approximately $500-$1,000), recruited volunteer designers, and worked with printers that offered designing as well.
For each book we recommend the following sections:
- Foreword: Educates the reader about your project and the topic on a local, national, and or global level.
- Introduction: Written by those running your project or the project’s community partner.
- Stories: The stories and relevant photos make up the bulk of the book.
- Resources: A list of agencies and organizations that deal with the topic in your community along with their contact information.
- Acknowledgments: Include the names and logos of the individuals and organizations that helped sponsor your project or donate time or talents.
See Muncie’s Facing Autism Book for an example of a complete book.
We’d be happy to connect you with a printer we regularly use if you’d rather not handle this part of the project.
We received the quote below in the fall of 2014 to give you a rough idea of what a book costs based on size and paper quality.
Facing Project “Magazine” Book
- Page Count: 48 page + Cover (13 sheets total)
- Flat Size: 17 x 11
- Finished Size: 8.5 x 11
- Cover: 100# Gloss Cover
- Text: 60# Gloss Text
- Ink: 4CP/4CP with Bleeds
- Finishing: Collate, Trim, Fold, Saddle-Stitch
500 – $2,100
1000 – $2,500
2500 – $4,000
5000 – $6,500
Facing Project Perfect Bound Book
- Page Count: 60 page + Cover
- Flat Size: 28 x 20
- Finished Size: 7 x 10
- Cover: 120# Accent Smooth Cover
- Text: 70# White Accent Smooth Opaque Txt
- Cover: 4CP/0 with Bleeds
- Text: 4CP/4CP with Bleeds
- Finishing: Collate, Trim, Fold, Perfect Bind
500 – $4,000
1000 – $4,500
2500 – $7,000
5000 – $10,500
* Pricing does not include any applicable taxes, shipping, or composition fees.
If your project is housed on a campus or one of your partners is associated with a campus, consider reaching out to the campus’s printing services to see if a print job could be donated or reduced in cost.